life is good

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Humbled by Head Trauma

I recently returned with my church's youth mission team from Mountain Top. I went into the experience praying for patience, because the pre-trip planning for a first time church was a bit overwhelming at times. I probably went in with a less-than faithful attitude. But as I talked to the kids throughout the week, I could tell that they were in the middle of a life changing experience. I didn't realize how focused I had been on myself.

This revelation came full-circle when, while participating in typically stupid youth games, my big noggin ran full speed into the slightly smaller but equally as hard head of one of my youth. We were both laid out for a few counts. I had a huge knot on my head, but she ended up in the ER getting a CT scan. As I watched her speaking jibberish, fighting to get words out at all. I finally forgot about myself. Thank God! She's ok. We were both out rafting a couple of days later.