life is good

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Purpose-Driven Response

Success is a difficult thing. It's interesting how our response to a phrase like "purpose-driven" can change over the years. It's been 10 years since I first heard my UM pastor sing Rick Warren's praises over the original book. It is was/is full of great insight and advice for the church. In the years that followed though, the words "purpose driven" were embossed on a wide assortment journals, coffee mugs, t-shirts, pencils, pens, picture frames--you name it. And all of a sudden a positive became suspect at best.

I know that from a marketing standpoint this is old news, however, I'm glad to see someone from Saddleback address "purpose-driven" as a movement. Read Doug Field's recent letter here.

It's a helpful reminder that the machine of Christian marketing does not often reflect the heart of the author/pastor/program innovator behind the products it promotes. I respect Doug Fields. I disagree on a few very important theological and ecclesiological points (including some in the referenced letter), but I believe his passion is truly to help youth ministers.