life is good

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Jesus and People of the "Slums"

Once again, I'm too slow with the camera... I've become quite a connoisseur of church signs. I can spot heresy 2 blocks away, and have become concerned with the tax-exempt status of some partisan churches.

the following message graced a street corner here in Tullahoma for months, until appropriately, it was removed just in time for holy week.

Christ didn't take people out of the slums, he took the slums out of the people.


Alas, I didn't get a snapshot for you, and my dream of a coffee table book featuring such wisdom is slipping away. Trust me, it was there.

Of all times, during the season of Lent, this message spoke to a skeptical world a message they had already assumed--"Christ doesn't make a lick of difference in my life or in the world." OUCH church, that seems like a poor representation of a God who would give himself so that the world could have new life. Resurrection is bigger than tap dancing on the streets of gold. It is the power to transforms lives, to reconcile broken relationships, and to bring new life to dead places.

Christ did come to take people out of the slums, (oh, and he empowered the church with his Spirit that the transforming work could continue) we have the image of God stamped within us somewhere, and it can be restored--that's the hope we have in the Easter story.

P.S. Send me your favorites. Mine? -- "Your choice for eternity: extra crispy or well done."--classy